Published on: 2016-06-28
PhD, Columbia University
Professor, Department of Finance
Tel (825) 2358 8498
Personal Home Page
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
International finance (Effects of regulation and policies); Corporate finance (theory and empirical); Investments (mutual funds)
Professor Bhattacharya’s research is on the dark side of finance, especially in emerging markets. He is considered the world’s leading authority on insider trading. He has published in all the top-tier finance journals, and many of the top-tier accounting and economics journals. His research has been featured more than a hundred times in the U.S. media and in the foreign media (including five feature stories in the Economist.) He has been invited to present his research in more than 200 institutions in 31 countries in 5 continents.
Professor Bhattacharya is also an excellent teacher. He teaches in a different country every summer. He has taught at top universities in Argentina, Brazil, China, France, Germany, Netherlands, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Lithuania, Mexico, New Zealand, Portugal, Singapore, Slovenia, South Korea, Russia, Taiwan and Turkey. In the U.S., he has been in the faculty at Iowa and Indiana, and a visiting faculty at Chicago, Duke and MIT.
His goal is to spread the gospel of honest finance to every emerging market.
SELECTED PAPERS & PUBLICATIONS
- “The Global Rise of the Value-Weighted Portfolio” (with Neal Galpin), 2011, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis 46, 737-756.
- “When No Law is Better than a Good Law?” (with Hazem Daouk), 2009, Review of Finance 13, 577-627.
- “Melting Pot or Salad Bowl: Some Evidence from U.S. Investments Abroad,” (with Peter Groznik), 2008, Journal of Financial Markets 11, 228-258.
- “The Home Court Advantage in International Corporate Litigation,” (with Neal Galpin and Bruce Haslem), 2007, Journal of Law and Economics 50, 625-659.
- “The World Price of Earnings Opacity (with Hazem Daouk and Michael Welker), 2003, The Accounting Review 78, 641-678.
- “The Optimal Design of Ponzi Schemes in Finite Economies,” 2003, Journal of Financial Intermediation 12, 2-24.
- “The World Price of Insider Trading” (with H. Daouk), 2002, Journal of Finance 57, 75-108.
- “Capital Markets and the Evolution of Family Businesses” (with B. Ravikumar), 2001, Journal of Business 74, 187-220.
- “When an Event is Not an Event: The Curious Case of an Emerging Market” (with Hazem Daouk, Brian Jorgenson and Carl-Heinrich Kehr), 2000, Journal of Financial Economics 55, 69-101.
- “The Advantage to Hiding One's Hand: Speculation and Central Bank Intervention in the Foreign Exchange Market” (with Paul Weller), 1997, Journal of Monetary Economics 39, 251-277.