PhD, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Professor, Department of Information Systems, Business Statistics, and Operations Management
Tel (852) 2358 7641
Personal Home Page
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Information privacy and security, information technology policies, and electronic commerce.
Kai-Lung Hui’s research focuses on the impact of information technologies and the analysis of policies related to information technology use and development. His research has variously addressed topics such as the impact of law enforcement on crime deterrence on the Internet, digital divide, how piracy affected sales of legitimate items, and the impact of copyright law on the supply of creative works. His research has been published in scholarly journals including The American Economic Review: Papers and Proceedings, Information Systems Research, Management Science and MIS Quarterly, among others.
Dr. Hui has provided consulting services to the Ministry of Law of Singapore, the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), WKK Distributions Ltd., the Intellectual Property Department of the Hong Kong SAR Government and Communications Association of Hong Kong. He has also presented as an invited expert speaker in the WIPO/OECD Expert meeting on Counterfeiting and Piracy, which was held in Geneva in 2005. Dr. Hui is an overseas fellow of the IP Academy of Singapore.
SELECTED PAPERS & PUBLICATIONS
- Hui, K.L. and I.P.L. Png “Migration of Service to the Internet: Evidence from a Federal Natural Experiment,” Information Systems Research, forthcoming.
- Goh, K.Y., K.L. Hui, and I.P.L. Png “Privacy and Marketing Externalities: Evidence from Do Not Call,” Management Science, forthcoming.
- Goh, K.Y., K.L. Hui, and I.P.L. Png “Newspaper Reports and Consumer Choice: Evidence from the Do Not Call Registry,” Management Science, vol. 57, no. 9, September 2011, 1640-1654.
- Hann, I.H., K.L. Hui, T.S.Y. Lee, and I.P.L. Png “Consumer Privacy and Marketing Avoidance: A Static Model,” Management Science, vol. 54, no. 6, June 2008, 1094-1103.
- Hui, K.L., H.H. Teo and T.S.Y. Lee “The Value of Privacy Assurance: An Exploratory Field Experiment,” MIS Quarterly, vol. 31, no. 1, March 2007, 19-33.
- Hann, I.H., K.L. Hui, Y.L. Lai, T.S.Y. Lee and I.P.L. Png “Who Gets Spammed,” Communications of the ACM, 2006, vol. 49, no. 10, October 2006, 83-87.
- Hui, K.L. and I.P.L. Png “Piracy and the Legitimate Demand for Recorded Music,” Contributions to Economic Analysis and Policy, vol. 2, 2003, Article 11.
- Hui, K.L. and I.P.L. Png “On the Supply of Creative Work: Evidence from the Movies,” American Economic Review: Papers and Proceedings, vol. 92, no. 2, May 2002, 217-220.
<< Permalink >>