Kasper Meisner Nielsen
PhD, University of Copenhagen
Associate Professor, Department of Finance
Tel (825) 2358 7682
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Applied microeconometrics; Corporate governance; Entrepreneurial finance; Private equity investments; Family business; Household finance
Professor Kasper Meisner Nielsen is Associate Professor at HKUST, and Academic Director of the HKUST-NYU Stern MS in Global Finance Program. He received his Bachelor of Science, Master of Science, and Ph.D. degrees in Economics from the University of Copenhagen.
Professor Nielsen’s research interests are corporate governance, entrepreneurial finance, family business, and household finance. His research has featured in international newspapers and magazines including Business Week, Financial Times, Harvard Business Review, International Herald Tribune, The Economist, The Times of India, and Wall Street Journal.
He has studied the consequence of family succession on firm performance, the value of independent directors, the level of executive compensation, why individuals shy away from stocks, and households’ decisions to refinance their mortgage. His work has been published in academic journals including The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Journal of Financial Economics, Review of Financial Studies, Management Science, Review of Finance, Journal of Corporate Finance and Journal of Banking and Finance. His research has been awarded with external financing from competitive research grants on several occasions.
On his area of expertise Professor Nielsen has served as an external advisor, consultant, and lecturer to government agencies and companies in China, Denmark, and Hong Kong.
SELECTED PAPERS & PUBLICATIONS
- “Fire sales and house prices: Evidence from Estate Sales due to Sudden Death”, with S. Andersen. June 2015. Forthcoming in Management Science.
- “What death can tell: Are executives paid for their contribution to firm value?” with B.D. Nguyen, Management Science 60 (12), 2994-3010. December 2014.
- “Ability or finances as constraints on entrepreneurship? Evidence from survival rates in a natural experiment” with S. Andersen, Review of Financial Studies 25 (12), 3684-3710. December 2012.
- “Private contracting and corporate governance: Evidence from the provision of tag-along rights in Brazil” with M. Bennedsen and T.V. Nielsen, Journal of Corporate Finance 18 (4), 904-918. September 2012.
- “Participation constraints in the stock market: Evidence from unexpected inheritance due to sudden death” with S. Andersen, Review of Financial Studies 24 (5), 1667-1697. May 2011.
- “The value of independent directors: Evidence from sudden deaths” with B.D. Nguyen, Journal of Financial Economics 98 (3), 550-567. December 2010.
- “Inside the family firm: the role of families in succession decisions and performance”, with M. Bennedsen, F. Pérez-González and D. Wolfenzon, The Quarterly Journal of Economics 122 (2), 647-691. May 2007.