Jimin Zhao (Ph.D., Stanford University, 2000) is an Associate Professor of Social Science. Previously she was a Senior Research Fellow at Oxford University (2007–2011). Her research interests include environmental and energy policy and governance, climate change and global environmental governance, sustainable transportation, energy policy and technology development, and Chinese environmental and energy policy. Her numerous research grants include “Energy Efficiency for China’s Buildings” (£200,000 from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, 2010-2012), and “Visioning and Backcasting for Transport Futures in Chinese Cities” (£49,625 from Oxford University’s Future City Programme, 2010-2011), and Moving to a low-carbon economy under different economic circumstances (£356,868, Foreign& Commonwealth Office’s Strategic Programme Fund, 2009-2012). Recent publications include a chapter in Climate Smart Development in Asia: Transition to Low Carbon and Climate Resilient Economies, “Engaging China in a Post-2012 Climate Regime,” “Climate Change Mitigation in Beijing,” and “Visioning and Backcasting for Transport in Jinan”.
- Zhao, J. “Engaging China in a Post-2012 Climate Regime,” Global Environmental Politics, forthcoming.
- Zhao, J., “Can the Environment Survive China’s Craze for Automobiles?—Urban Transportation Challenges and Opportunities” Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, forthcoming.
- Bulkeley, H., Schroeder, H., Janda, K., Zhao, J., Armstrong, A., Chu, Shu Yi, and Ghosh, S., Cities and Climate Change: The role of institutions, governance and urban planning, World Bank, 2011.
- Zhao, J. Climate Change Mitigation in Beijing, Cities and Climate Change: Global Report on Human Settlements 2011, UN-HABITAT, 2010.
- Zhao, J. and M. Melaina, “Transition to Hydrogen-Based Transportation in China: Lessons Learned from Alternative Fuel Vehicles in the United States and China,” Energy Policy, Vol.34, No.11, July 2006, 1299-1309.
- Zhao, J. “Whither the Car? China’s Automobile Industry and Cleaner Vehicle Technology,” Development and Change, Vol.37, No.1, 2006.
- Zhao, J., “Implementing International Environmental Treaties in Developing Countries: China’s Compliance with the Montreal Protocol,” Global Environmental Politics, Vol.5, No. 1, 2005.
- Zhao, J. and L. Ortolano, “The Chinese Government’s Role in Implementing Multilateral Environmental Agreements: the Case of the Montreal Protocol,” The China Quarterly. September 2003.
- Zhao, J. “Multilateral Fund and China’s Compliance with the Montreal Protocol,” The Journal of Environment and Development, December, 2002.
- Klaassen, G., McDonald, A., and Zhao, J., “The Future of Gas Infrastructures in Eurasia,” Energy Policy. 29 (5), 2001.