PhD, Cornell University
Associate Professor, Division of Social Science
Tel (852) 2358 7826
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Sociology of the innovation systems conceptual approach; the role of innovation/technology in Hong Kong; university-industry linkages; and economic linkages between Hong Kong and Guangdong.
Naubahar Sharif is an Associate Professor in the Division of Social Science at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology. He earned his PhD in ‘Science and Technology Studies’ from Cornell University in 2005 and completed the Executive Education programme in Innovation for Economic Development at Harvard University in 2011. He has published numerous academic articles in leading journals including Research Policy, Science and Public Policy, International Journal of Technology Management, and Science Technology and Human Values and has received external funding from the Research Grants Council (RGC) of Hong Kong under the auspices of the General Research Fund (GRF) as well as the fund for Public Policy Research (PPR). Naubahar also consulted for the Innovation and Technology Commission (ITC), HKSAR Government from 2006 to 2010. He is currently associate editor for the Journal of Knowledge-Based Innovation in China (published by Emerald) and a scientific committee member for Innovation and Development (published by Routledge). His research interests include the innovation-related and economic linkages between Hong Kong and Guangdong.
SELECTED PAPERS & PUBLICATIONS
- Sharif, Naubahar and Hayes Tang, “New Trends in Innovation Strategy at Chinese Universities in Hong Kong and Shenzhen.” International Journal of Technology Management (2013): [Forthcoming].
- Sharif, Naubahar, Erik Baark and Antonio Lau, “Innovation Activities, Sources of Innovation and R&D Cooperation: Evidence From Firms in Hong Kong and Guangdong Province, China.” International Journal of Technology Management 59, nos.3/4 (2012): 203–234.
- Sharif, Naubahar and Can Huang, “Innovation Strategy, Firm Survival and Relocation: The Case of Hong Kong-Owned Manufacturing in Guangdong Province, China.” Research Policy 41, no.1 (2012): 69–78.
- Sharif, Naubahar. “Facilitating and Promoting Innovative Entrepreneurship in Hong Kong: Theory and Practice.” Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences—Revue Canadienne des Sciences de L’Administration 29, no.2 (2012): 139–153.
- Sharif, Naubahar and Mitchell Tseng, “Hong Kong’s Contribution to China’s Manufacturing Industry.” Asian Survey 51, no.4 (July/August 2011): 633–658.
- Sharif, Naubahar. “Rhetoric of Innovation Policymaking in Hong Kong Using the Innovation Systems Conceptual Approach.” Science, Technology and Human Values 35, no. 3 (2010): 408–434.
- Huang, Can and Naubahar Sharif. “Manufacturing Dynamics and Spillovers: The Case of Guangdong Province and Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan (HKMT).” Research Policy 38, no.5 (2009): 813–828.
- Sharif, Naubahar. “Emergence and Development of the National Innovation Systems Approach.” Research Policy 35, no.5 (2006): 745–766.
- Sharif, Naubahar. “An Examination of Recent Developments in Hong Kong’s Innovation System: 1990 to the Present.” Science and Public Policy 33, no.7 (2006): 505–518.
- Baark, Erik and Naubahar Sharif. “From Trade Hub to Innovation Hub: The Role of Hong Kong’s Innovation System in Linking China to Global Markets.” Innovation: Management, Policy & Practice 8, no.1-2 (April 2006): 193–209.
[IEMS Research Grants] The Pearl River Delta: An Emerging Silicon Valley. [Abstract]
[IEMS Thought Leadership Brief] China as the World’s Technology Leader in the 21st Century: Dream or Reality? by Naubahar Sharif
[IEMS Thought Leadership Brief] Innovate or Die: How Hong Kong-owned Manufacturing Firms in China Can Survive and Thrive by Naubahar Sharif
[IEMS Working Paper] Global Technology Leadership: The Case of China by Naubahar Sharif
[IEMS Grants] Value of Chinese Patents: Evidence from the Chinese Patent Inventor Survey (2015) by Naubahar Sharif
[IEMS Grants] Preemption and Defense: Strategy of International Patenting in Emerging Economies (2013)
[Business Insights] Innovate or Die - the Fate & Future of Hong Kong-owned PRD Factories, an HKUST Science-for-Lunch talk
[Events] IEMS' Naubahar Sharif Selected As Delegate for the T20 "Enhancing Innovation and International Technology Diffusion" Conference
<< Permalink >>