Areas of Expertise
Capital market, securities regulation, executive compensation, financial disclosure, blockchain and cryptocurrency
Professor Allen Huang’s research has been featured in CFA Digest, CFO, Harvard Business Review, Harvard Law School Forum, Vox and Financial Times, and has won First Paper in MIT Asia Conference in Accounting (twice), IRRC Institute Research Award, and International Centre for Pension Management Research Award. His publications have appeared in top-tier finance, accounting and management journals such as the Journal of Finance, Management Science, The Accounting Review, Journal of Accounting Research, and Contemporary Accounting Research.
He has taught financial accounting, managerial accounting, corporate finance, blockchain and cryptocurrency, big data analytics and AI. He has won the Franklin Prize for Teaching Excellence twice, HKUST Best Ten Lecturer twice, and is on the Dean’s Recognition of Excellent Teaching Performance every year.
Prior to joining HKUST, he worked in the Quantitative Equity Strategy group in Lehman Brothers and Barclays Capital in New York. Allen holds a Ph.D. in Business Administration from Duke University and a B.S. in Electronics from Peking University in China.
- "Federal Judge Ideology: A New Measure of Ex-Ante Litigation Risk,” with Kai Wai Hui and Reeyarn Li, Journal of Accounting Research, May 2019, 57 (2): pp. 431-489.
- "Analyst Information Discovery and Interpretation Roles: A Topic Modeling Approach,” with Reuven Lehavy, Amy Zang, and Rong Zheng. Management Science, June 2018, 64 (6): pp. 2833-2855.
- "Imperfect Accounting and Reporting Bias,” with Vivian Fang and Wenyu Wang. Journal of Accounting Research, September 2017, 55 (4): pp. 919-962.
- "Short Selling and Earnings Management: A Controlled Experiment,” with Vivian Fang and Jonathan Karpoff. Journal of Finance, June 2016, 71 (3): pp. 1251-1294.
- "Evidence on the Information Content of Text in Analyst Reports,” with Amy Zang and Rong Zheng. The Accounting Review, November 2014, 89 (6): pp. 2151-2180.
- "CEO Reputation and Earnings Quality,” with Jennifer Francis, Shiva Rajgopal, and Amy Zang. Contemporary Accounting Research, Spring 2008, 25 (1): pp. 109-147.
- "An Unintended Benefit of the Risk Factor Mandate of 2005,” with Jianghua Shen and Amy Zang, 2019.
- “The Long-Term Consequence of Short-Term Incentives,” with Alex Edmans and Vivian Fang, 2019.
- “Credit Rating Agencies and Accounting Frauds,” with Pepa Kraft and Shiheng Wang, 2019.
- "Cross-Sector Information Sharing and Analyst Performance,” with An-Ping Lin and Amy Zang, 2019.