AREAS OF EXPERTISE
International Macroeconomics, Monetary Economics, Macroeconomics, Chinese economy
Dr Juanyi Jenny Xu joined HKUST Department of Economics in 2006. She worked in Simon Fraser University shortly before she joined HKUST. Her primary research fields are on international macroeconomics and monetary economics. Her research has been focused on the analysis of the optimal monetary policy in open economies, especially for emerging market economies and the study of dollarization and its implication for international monetary policy and transmission of shocks. She is also interested in explaining the real exchange rate dynamics change and the international business cycle of emerging market economies. Her works are published in Economic Journal, Journal of International Economics, and Journal of Development Economics. She has worked as a research fellow in Hong Kong Institute of Monetary Research.
SELECTED PAPERS & PUBLICATIONS
- Exchange Rates and Monetary Policy in Emerging Market Economies, April 2006, Michael B. Devereux, Philip R. Lane, and Juanyi Xu, Economic Journal, vol. 116(April) , Pg. 478-506.
- Global Monetary Policy under a Dollar Standard, March 2007, Michael B. Devereux, Kang Shi, and Juanyi Xu, Journal of International Economics, vol. 71(1), Pg. 113-132.
- Optimal Monetary Policy with Vertical Production and Trade, August 2007, Kang Shi and Juanyi Xu, Review of International Economics, vol. 15 (3), Pg. 514–537.
- Noise Traders, Exchange Rate Disconnect Puzzle, and the Tobin Tax, March 2010, Juanyi Xu, Journal of International Money and Finance, vol. 29(2), Pg. 336-357.
- Twin Dollarization and Exchange Rate Policy, May 2010, Kang Shi and Juanyi Xu, Journal of International Economics, vol. 81(1), Pg. 109-121.
- Oil Currency and the Dollar Standard, (Leading Article), June 2010, Michael B. Devereux, Kang Shi, and Juanyi Xu, Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, vol. 42(4), Pg. 521-550 .
- Optimal Currency Basket with Vertical Trade, August 2011, Juanyi Xu, Journal of International Money and Finance, vol. 30(7), Pg. 1323-1340.
- Oil Price Stabilization and Global Welfare, October 2013, Qing Liu, Kang Shi, Zhouheng Wu, and Juanyi Xu, accepted at Journal of Development Economics.