AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Information Privacy and Security, Information Technology Policies, and Electronic Commerce.
Kai-Lung Hui’s research focuses on the impact of information technologies and the analysis of policies related to information technology use and development. His research has variously addressed topics such as the impact of law enforcement on crime deterrence on the Internet, digital divide, how piracy affected sales of legitimate items, and the impact of copyright law on the supply of creative works. His research has been published in scholarly journals including The American Economic Review: Papers and Proceedings, Information Systems Research, Management Science, MIS Quarterly, and Journal of MIS, among others.
Dr. Hui has provided consulting services to the Ministry of Law of Singapore, the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), the Intellectual Property Department of the Hong Kong SAR Government, the Communications Association of Hong Kong, and various private organisations. He is currently serving as an advisor of 300cubits.tech, UC.Now, and Swiss Innovation Valley.
SELECTED PAPERS & PUBLICATIONS
- Cao, Z., K.L. Hui, and H. Xu “An Economic Analysis of Peer Disclosure in Online Social Communities,” Information Systems Research, forthcoming.
- Hui, K.L., S.H. Kim, and Q.H. Wang “Cybercrime Deterrence and International Legislation: Evidence from Distributed Denial of Service Attacks,” MIS Quarterly, vol. 41, no. 2, June 2017, 497-523.
- Goh, K.Y., K.L. Hui, and I.P.L. Png “Privacy and Marketing Externalities: Evidence from Do Not Call,” Management Science, vol. 61, no. 12, December 2015, 2982-3000.
- Hui, K.L. and I.P.L. Png “Migration of Service to the Internet: Evidence from a Federal Natural Experiment,” Information Systems Research, vol. 26, no. 3, September 2015, 606-618.
- Hui, K.L., Wendy Hui, and W.T. Yue “Information Security Outsourcing with System Interdependency and Mandatory Security Requirement,” Journal of Management Information Systems, vol. 29, no. 3, December 2012, 117-155.
- Goh, K.Y., K.L. Hui, and I.P.L. Png “Newspaper Reports and Consumer Choice: Evidence from the Do Not Call Registry,” Management Science, vol. 57, no. 9, September 2011, 1640-1654.
- Hann, I.H., K.L. Hui, T.S.Y. Lee, and I.P.L. Png “Consumer Privacy and Marketing Avoidance: A Static Model,” Management Science, vol. 54, no. 6, June 2008, 1094-1103.
- Hui, K.L., H.H. Teo and T.S.Y. Lee “The Value of Privacy Assurance: An Exploratory Field Experiment,” MIS Quarterly, vol. 31, no. 1, March 2007, 19-33.
- Hui, K.L. and I.P.L. Png “Piracy and the Legitimate Demand for Recorded Music,” Contributions to Economic Analysis and Policy, vol. 2, 2003, Article 11.
- Hui, K.L. and I.P.L. Png “On the Supply of Creative Work: Evidence from the Movies,” American Economic Review: Papers and Proceedings, vol. 92, no. 2, May 2002, 217-220.