AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Water Resource Management and Policy; Health Policy and Governance; Anti-corruption; Policy Innovations in Asia; Local Government Entrepreneurship
Professor Xun Wu is a policy scientist with a strong interest in the linkage between policy analysis and public management. Trained in engineering, economics, public administration, and policy analysis, his research seeks to make contribution to the design of effective public policies in dealing emerging policy challenges across Asian countries. His research interests include policy innovations, water resource management, health policy reform, and anti-corruption. He has consulted for the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, UNEP, International Vaccine Institute, and numerous government agencies on a variety of topics, such as infrastructure planning and development, environmental and social impact assessment, design and implementation of randomized control trials (RCTs), and Public-Private Partnership.
Professor Wu is the Director of the Division of Public Policy at HKUST. Prior to joining HKUST, he held a faculty position (2001-2015) at the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy in the National University of Singapore, while serving as the Director of the Institute of Water Policy. He had also worked as a lecturer in Renmin University of China (1988-1992) and a survey specialist at the World Bank (2000-2001).
SELECTED PAPERS & PUBLICATIONS
- Wu, Xun, M Ramesh, and Jianxing Yu. Autonomy and Performance: Decentralization Reforms in Zhejiang, China. Forthcoming in Public Administration and Development
- Jensen, Olivia, and Xun Wu. The Hybrid Model for Economic Regulation of Water Utilities: Mission Impossible? Forthcoming in Utilities Policy
- Wu, Xun and M Ramesh. Market Imperfections, Government Imperfections and Innovative Policy Mixes in Singapore. Policy Sciences, 47(3), 2014
- Wu, Xun, Marc Jeuland, Claudia Sadoff and Dale Whittington. Independence in Water Resource Development in the Ganges: An Economic Analysis, Water Policy, 15 (S1), 2013
- Wu, Xun, and M Ramesh. Health Care Reforms in Developing Asia: Propositions and Pitfalls, Development and Change, 40(3), 2009
- Wu, Xun. Determinants of Bribery in Asia: Evidence from Business Environment Survey, Journal of Business Ethics, 87(1), 2009
- Wu, Xun, and Nepomuceno A. Malaluan. A Tale of Two Concessionaires: A Natural Experiment of Water Privatization in Metro Manila, Urban Studies, 45(1), 2008
- Wu, Xun, and Dale Whittington. Incentive Compatibility and Conflict Resolution in International River Basins: A Case Study of the Nile Basin, Water Resources Research, 42 (2), 2006
- Wu, Xun. Corporate Governance and Corruption: A Cross-Country Analysis, Governance: An International Journal of Policy, Administration and Institutions, 18 (2), 2005.
- Wu, Xun, Julian Lampietti, and Anke Meyer. Coping with the Cold: Space Heating and the Urban Poor in Developing Countries, Energy Economics 26, 2004.