Dr. Zheng is currently working as a tenured associate professor in Dept. of Management at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST). He earned his Ph.D. from University of Wisconsin Madison in 2006, majored in management and minored in economics. His research interests primarily revolve around the nexus of strategic management and entrepreneurship. His work has been published at leading management and entrepreneurship journals such as AMJ, SMJ, JBV, JMS, ICC, and SEJ. He also serves the editorial board of AMJ since 2013, the most prestigious academic journal in management field and won the Best Reviewer Award in 2014 and 2016. He was the recipient of the Irene M. McCarthy Award for the best paper on the topic of High Technology and Innovation at the Babson International Entrepreneurship Conference. Dr. Zheng has won several major research grants such as General Research Funding (GRF) of Hong Kong. He also has extensive teaching experience in entrepreneurship and strategic management. He has developed a few innovative teaching methods and novel courses such as Fintech Entrepreneurship.
- Entrepreneurship Strategies
Areas of Expertise
- Firm Innovation
- Financial Technologies
- Strategic Alliances
- Founding Teams
- Venture Financing
- Zheng, Y. & Wang, Qinyu (Ryan). 2020. “Shadow of the great firewall: The impact of blocking Google on innovation in China” Strategic Management Journal. 41: 2234-2260.
- Zheng, Y., Xia, J. 2018. Resource dependence and network relations: A test of venture capital investment termination in China. Journal of Management Studies. 55: 295-319.
- Zheng, Y., DeVaughn, M. & Zellmer-Bruhn, M. 2016. Shared and shared alike? Founders' prior shared experience and impacts on performance or newly founded banks. Strategic Management Journal. 37: 2503-2520.
- Zheng, Y. & Yang, H. 2015. Does familiarity foster innovation? Repeated R&D alliances and breakthrough innovations. Journal of Management Studies. 52: 213-230.
- Yang, H., Zheng, Y. & Zaheer, A. 2015. Asymmetric learning capabilities and returns from alliances. Academy of Management Journal. 58: 356-374.
- Yang, H., Zheng, Y. & Zhao, X. 2013. Exploration or exploitation? Small firms’ alliance strategies with large firms. Strategic Management Journal. 35: 146-157.
Check out his papers on ResearchGate or SSRN